Christa Patton, Director
Dates: June 14-20, 2020
We regret to inform you that the Baroque Opera Workshop at Queens College will be postponed to next summer 2021 due to public health considerations brought about by COVID-19. Watch this page for more information regarding dates and offerings this coming Fall 2020.
The Institute for 17th Century Music at Queens College offers a one-week, intensive training program in Baroque opera for singers, continuo players and string players, culminating in a performance of
by Francesco Cavalli
Julianne Baird – Baroque Vocal Style
Damon Bonetti – Stage Director
Dongmyung Ahn – Baroque String Technique and Repertoire
Deborah Fox – Baroque Guitar, Theorbo
Gwendolyn Toth – Early Keyboards
- Daily masterclasses and coachings in ornamentation and Baroque style based on 16th and 17th century sources, with Julianne Baird
- Daily classes in Baroque gesture with Dorothy Olsen and theatre craft for opera singers with Damon Bonetti.
For String players:
- Study of Baroque repertoire and period ornamentation with Dongmyung Ahn, Baroque violin and Lisa Terry, viola da gamba and Baroque cello
For Continuo players:
- Improvisation in accompaniment based on 16th and 17th century sources with Gwen Toth, Baroque keyboard, Christa Patton, Baroque harp, Deborah Fox, theorbo and Baroque guitar.
- Singers and full continuo will participate in daily music rehearsals with musical director, Christa Patton
Daily Schedule Tuition Singers: $695
Strings and continuo instruments: $595
Auditors: $60 per day
On-campus housing: $70 per night
Application deadline for singers: April 3, 2020
Application deadline for instrumentalists: May 31, 2020.
The Baroque Opera Workshop at Queens College uses the YAP Tracker application process for our program. The application can be found here:
You do not need to be a paying subscriber to YAP Tracker to use the application form, although you will need an account (guest accounts are available; see the website for details). Registration can be completed at http://www.yaptracker.com.
For further information, email: